Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Share the Love Wednesdays: Pirate Kat's Booty

This week I had the opportunity to interview Donna Day from Pirate Kat's Booty.  She has a great selection of jewelry for yourself or your pets! 



Siren Song


Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hmm ok... let’s see... I grew up in California but married a Canadian, so I packed up my two cats and now live in Ontario. I've done everything from running a comic book shop to working in TV and radio, both on air and off. I have worked in senior care, child care, and pet care. I'm a gamer girl and a proud geek. I am now the owner of Pirate Kat's Booty, my jewelry shop. I make hand crafted jewelry for men, women, kids and pets. I am also branching out into key chains, book marks, zipper pulls, and charms for cellphones, tablets, and readers.

How long have you been making jewelry?

Pretty much all my life. I started stringing beads when I was a kid, then made macramé style jewelry when I was in Girl Scouts. I did some wire work in art classes in high school. Now I'm doing beadwork jewelry and branching into other styles.



Icy Brilliance
Pacific Passion

I love the Icy BrillianceWhich design is your favourite?

Wow, tough one. I'd say this week it is Pacific Passion. If you ask me again next week it will probably be something else. The jewelry I make reflects my mood, so every day something else is going to be my “favourite.”

What time of day do you do most of your creating?

Most of my creating is done in the evenings, when I can relax and just enjoy what I do.

What made you start selling on Etsy?

I started making things as gifts for friends and family. After about the 20th person said “You need to open an Etsy shop! Your work is beautiful!” I finally checked it out and opened my shop. Good thing too... I hadn't realized just how much jewelry I had made just in my spare time.

What was the first item that you sold?

First item I sold was a Southwest style charm bracelet made with polished stone beads and silver stars with western themed charms.

Do you have a work space that you do your work at?
I used to say I did a little beading in my Home office. Now when I look around my “office” and see more beads than office supplies. 

Where else can people find you? i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc.
Twitter:
twitter.com/PirateKatsBooty?refsrc=email
Facebook:
www.facebook.com/PirateKatsBooty?ref=hl
Etsy:
www.etsy.com/ca/shop/PirateKatsBooty?ref=si_shop
Pintrest:
www.pinterest.com/piratekatt/
Instagram:
instagram.com/piratekatsbooty

Is there anything else that you want people to know about you or your shop?

Everything in the shop is hand made by myself or a member of the shop extended family. It is then thoroughly inspected by the Pirate Kats, Solo and Shadow. We take commissions, so if there is a custom piece you need just hit me up. I've even done matching bracelets for bridesmaids and kids birthday parties. I am a firm supporter of small business and buying hand made. I love supporting artisans and really encourage everyone to find something they enjoy and do it!  
Major thank you to Wicked, Doni, David, Erna and Marie!

                                            Grey Galleons of Grandure

Thank you Donna Day for taking the time to do this interview!  I had a great time looking at all of the items in your shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment