Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Making Of.... Crochet Baby Blanket

A behind the scenes look at how this baby blanket was made!



Maybe you've seen my Instagram posts and wondered more about the process of making it.  Or you've been following my Facebook page.  Or maybe you've seen it for sale on my Etsy page.  It doesn't really matter how you've gotten here, but I hope you will stay and learn a little bit more.

The blanket is made up of a whole bunch of different crocheted motifs and attached together using different methods.  For some of the blocks I used single crochet to join and others I used join as you go techniques and still others were alternating joins.  It was actually a lot of fun to try out different joins to see which ones I liked best.  (By the way, the continuous final round join as you go technique won HANDS DOWN).



It was made from Knitca Wavy 100% cotton yarn.  I love the bright and cheerful colourways.  I used white, light blue, light yellow and lime green in this blanket.  (I will be soon adding Knitca yarns to my Etsy shop so watch out for those changes coming soon).


This is a picture of me getting ready to start one of the join as you go techniques.  You can see the completed block on the left and then the partially completed blocks on the right.  The idea is that you join the partially competed ones at the same time as doing the final round for that block.  It really is a lot of fun.


Once all of the joins were completed for the different sections then I had to attach all of the sections together and do the border around the whole blanket. 


I think it turned out beautifully and I hope that you enjoyed this blog post on the making of!

No comments:

Post a Comment